Current:Home > MarketsFederal judge poised to prohibit separating migrant families at US border for 8 years -Secure Growth Solutions
Federal judge poised to prohibit separating migrant families at US border for 8 years
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 11:23:31
SAN DIEGO (AP) — A federal judge was poised Friday to prohibit separation of families at the border for purposes of deterring immigration for eight years, preemptively blocking resumption of a lightning-rod, Trump-era policy that the former president hasn’t ruled out if voters return him to the White House next year.
U.S. District Judge Dana Sabraw tentatively approved a court settlement in October between the Justice Department and families represented by the American Civil Liberties Union. The ACLU says no one formally objected, clearing the way to end the case nearly seven years after it was filed.
Sabraw, who was appointed by President George W. Bush, ordered an end to separations in June 2018, six days after then-President Donald Trump halted them on his own amid intense international backlash. The judge also ordered that the government reunite children with their parents within 30 days, setting off a mad scramble because government databases weren’t linked. Children had been dispersed to shelters across the country that didn’t know who their parents were or how to find them.
Under the proposed settlement, the type of “zero-tolerance” policy under which the Trump administration separated more than 5,000 children from parents who were arrested for illegally entering the country would be prohibited until December 2031.
Children may still be separated but under limited circumstances, as has been the case for years. They include if the child is believed to be abused, if the parent is convicted of serious crimes or if there are doubts that the adult is the parent.
Families that were separated may be eligible for other benefits — legal status for up to three years on humanitarian parole; reunification in the United States at government expense; one year of housing; three years of counseling; legal aid in immigration court. But the settlement doesn’t pay families any money. In 2021, the Biden administration considered compensating parents and children hundreds of thousands of dollars each, but talks stalled.
As he seeks to return to the White House in next year’s elections, Trump has been noncommittal whether he would try to resume family separations. He defended the results in an interview with Univision last month, claiming without evidence that it “stopped people from coming by the hundreds of thousands.”
“When you hear that you’re going to be separated from your family, you don’t come. When you think you’re going to come into the United States with your family, you come,” Trump said.
veryGood! (191)
Related
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Prince Harry to appeal to UK government for evidence in lawsuit against Daily Mail publisher
- 104 years overdue: Book last checked out in 1919 returns to Minnesota library
- Leighton Meester Reveals the Secret to “Normal” Marriage with Adam Brody
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Padres give Mike Shildt another chance to manage 2 years after his Cardinals exit
- Love Is Blind's Bliss Poureetezadi Is Pregnant, Expecting First Baby With Husband Zack Goytowski
- Dire Straits frontman Mark Knopfler is putting some of his guitars up for auction
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Police identify 2 children struck and killed as they walked to elementary school in Maryland
Ranking
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- The Excerpt podcast: Hamas leader says truce agreement with Israel nearing
- USPS announces new shipping rates for ground advantage and priority mail services in 2024
- Putin, Xi and UN Secretary-General Gutteres to attend virtual meeting on Israel-Hamas war
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- 14th Amendment cases challenging Trump's eligibility thrust courts into unknown territory
- Most applesauce lead poisonings were in toddlers, FDA says
- Chicago prepares for Macy's parade performance, summer tour with EWF: 'We're relentless'
Recommendation
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
South Korea’s president gets royal welcome on UK state visit before talks on trade and technology
Is the stock market open on Thanksgiving and Black Friday? Here's what to know
Gum chewing enrages her — and she’s not alone. What’s misophonia?
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
Analysis: Iran-backed Yemen rebels’ helicopter-borne attack on ship raises risks in crucial Red Sea
The Rolling Stones are going back on tour: How to get tickets to the 16 stadium dates
Voter-approved Oregon gun control law violates the state constitution, judge rules